Some time ago we talked about the most common preventable breakdowns. Today, we will discuss the most common car breakdowns due to disuse. People sometimes falsely assume that not using the car increases its lifeline but the truth is that a lot of issue may come up if a car is not driven for long periods of time. For a car to work properly, it’s required to be driven at least at regular intervals. If in any case, one of these problems occurs to your car your breakdown cover will handle it, but it’s always good to know what the causes are.
– Air conditioning is one of the first systems to cause problems when not used regularly. Its elements require lubrication which is provided by the passage of gas through the set.
– The tires also suffer when the car stands still for long periods of time.
– The power windows can suffer breakdowns if not used in some time. Especially for problems with the electric motor due to lack of use or effect of the moisture from rain accumulated in the box that forms the door. The oxidation that can be generated is not a good ally.
– The engine also suffers if we do not use the car often. If the motor does not rotate, the oil into the crankcase dries leaving the cylinder walls and piston rings fully dry. This can cause rust on the cylinder and help the piston rings from sticking.
– Oil leaks after a long period of inactivity is another classic occurrence. The sealing of the engine needs to be properly lubricated.
– Stoppages of the windshield pump can occur from lack of use.
– The gearbox and differential oil need to be kept clean and lubricated. Long periods of inactivity cause the part of the gears, synchronizers, forks which are not submerged in oil, to rust.
– Most of the engines are mounted with hydraulic tappets to actuate the valves. They work great and mostly prevent wear. As the name suggests, they work with oil, so if the car is not used frequently, they lose their functionality.
These are only some of the possible breakdowns, but as a matter of fact there are many more that may be less common.