Where the distinctive style is combined with practicality and economy then the concept of automotive wields. The ultimate city car since it was first launched it was characterized by innovative solutions and that is none other than the Smart, which added the optional electric “fuel” to run. The Smart Fortwo electric drive, either as a coupé or a cabrio is, thanks to the electric motor, the perfect car for those who want to move locally in the city with economy, emission free, enjoying all the advantages that characterize the Smart fortwo: a car adapted to absolute degree in the needs of urban mobility. An advanced and fully proven technology is combined with the unrestricted everyday use of the Smart fortwo. The motor power of 55kW (75hp) develops full power of 130 Nm from very low revs.
The Smart electric drive needs just one single connection for all driving speeds for rapid starts and excellent acceleration as 4.8 seconds from 0 to 60 km/hr and 11.5 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h. The motor is of the nature of sparing with energy. The electric motor works as a generator during coasting and braking and converts a portion of the excess kinetic energy into electricity. Then the energy is fed to the battery thereby increasing the autonomy eventually. The lithium-ion battery power at 17,6 kWh of the Smart fortwo electric drive in comparison with ordinary lithium-ion batteries, remains functional in a wide range of outdoor temperatures and has higher stability cycles and longer life.
It also allows the partial charge at any time, because the lithium-ion batteries do not exhibit the phenomenon of memory and, therefore, not losing its autonomy. Thus, the smart battery fully meet the requirements of an electric car designed for everyday use. Depending on driving style, traffic conditions and active duty circuits such as heating and air conditioning, the range can reach up to 145 km.
Compared with a smart conventional internal combustion engine, the electric motor offers several advantages to the client as:
– Maintenance economy: The motor consists of fewer components resulting in a significant reduction in maintenance costs: no oil changes, no damage to plugs and no replacement drive belt.
– Consumption economy: The electric motor is proved economic in power consumption. At 100 kilometers the electric Smart fortwo consumes 15,1 kWh, providing users with the fuel economy of up to 867 euros a year.
– Excellent friendliness to the environment: The smart electric drive is silent with zero emissions.
– Maximum safety: The smart electric drive has fitted as standard equipment side airbags head/thorax and ISOFIX child seat locking system. In addition, the battery is well protected under the floor of the vehicle.
– Dynamic and comfortable ride: The quiet operation, uniform development of power and driving without gear changes contribute to driving pleasure.
Charging the Smart electric drive is very simple since the owner can easily remove the charging cable from the repository and associate it with either the household outlet’s at home or in a public charging station at roadside stands. For safety the charger cable should be connected directly to the household outlet. The use of additional accessories such as an extension cord is not allowed. The Smart electric drive is based on the packet design passion and can be delivered in all colors and combinations that are available for petrol models of the Smart either a coupe or a cabrio.
By Nicole P.